Wednesday 12 August 2009

How is the packing going? And medical matters

I have two pieces of advice for anyone wanting to follow in my footsteps today.
Advice nugget 1: Don't buy things. Or rather, don't keep them.
Um, whose crazy idea was it to move house at the end of Aug again? ^^; One car load of my stuff has already zoomed off up to yorkshire, with my folks...Photobucket
...now the rest awaits them. Reckon it will all fit?Photobucket
I completely filled my wheelie bin today after hitting on the idea of throwing away my old bedding instead of washing it. Saves me some packing space. But I know that's not very green, so I stuffed my recycling bin full of paper to counter it. Sorry planet. And I've got at least another 2 loads of paper recycling already! And the amount of storage shelves and that I have is ridiculous. The good news of today is, a few things I've advertised for free on facebook have already been snapped up by friends. Hurrah!
Advice nugget 2: Save money. A lot of money. And patience!
I went for a chest xray today which ECC requires me to do, as part of a medical record the Japanese labour law requires them to have. Here's how it works:
1. I book medical. Doctor gives me check up and fills out ECC form. ('This lady is medically fit and well') <-- hurrah. I give Doctor £89 for his 45 minutes.
2. Doctor gives me a separate form to request I have a chest xray. I book xray appointment.
3. I go to xray, hand over the doctor's form and pay £75. The report from it now goes back to my doctor.
SO.
Tomorrow I need to 4. Call the doctor and get them to give me a copy of the report (you can bet they'll charge me for it) so I can
5. Send ECC form and xray back to ECC. (Registered post to Japan...) 
6. Wait for ECC to send me a certificate of eligibility so I can then
7. Go get my Visa. (Travelling down to London £_£)
With me so far? The only good thing is, I believe this is the most faffy part of the process. It's not the most expensive though, I've already done that... the flight.
Oh yes. The flight.
I had to get a flight which arrives 4-6 days before my training begins. But it had to be early, and not on a Sunday. So me and my folks spent a good hour pouring over flight comparison sites, and plumped for the best one we found: 13 hours with KLM, flying from Birmingham to Amsterdam, then Amsterdam to Kansai. Arriving Saturday 9.30am Japanese time. 4 days before my training. The cost = £715.
So lets do a quick reccy... £715 flight plus £164 medical costs =My new job is costing me £879 so far! This is not a money-making career move people. But as some keep saying to me, I'm sure it will all be worth it! ^__^

2 comments:

  1. But rubbish? :O

    what about to charity or what not?

    here's a fun site : www.freemesa.org/ !
    its great way to get rid of stuff and people really do need things; they will even come and pick it up! ^^

    anyway, what else did i want to say? Oh yes! congratulations! xD .... aaand.. well good luck!

    if you do end up near Kyoto my mum has friends near there that might be able to help you settle in ( I can ask nicely ^^)... and also check out my friend's blog: he's awesome too ^^ :
    www.michaelpanda/blog/

    now watch this get deleted as spam cos i put in URLs..

    take care!
    Gwen xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks Gwen, that's really kind of you ^_^ I will check those sites. And yes, I'm trying to give as much to charity as I can!

    ReplyDelete