Tuesday 3 November 2009

Love it, hate it

Good morning from sunny Kobe once again (hard to believe it's November) it's a national holiday today, so I'm getting a few chores done then im going for a walk to the mountains at the end of my road. Yesterday i went to Kyoto for the first time which was fantastic; I only saw two shrines, a park and some shops but I'm definitely going to go back, oh yes!
I've still not been in japan for a month yet but I wanted to share some of my likes and dislikes so far... we shall see if/ when they change!
Likes:
1. The weather. It's beautiful most days, and by english standards, ki d of tropi al for November. I love the sunshine so I'm very happy. I have been warned however that august is disgustingly humid and I won't want to leave the air con.
2. The pretty men. Oh so many of them! everywhere!
3. The students I've had so far. They are all nice and willing to learn. I haven't done any kids tea bing yet so far though.
4. The department stores. Huge and amazing. So many things have cute faces as well, it's like cute overload, even in a relatively boring area like kitchen equipment - the potato mashed has a cute face on the handle!
5. The bakeries. Oh wow. Such nice cakes and sweet breads and one I found in namba plays music just like disneyworld... It's awesome.

Dislikes:
1. Smoking is still allowed pretty much everywhere so the offices do smell, and after a few drinks in a bar I do too X_X
2. Paperwork... Anything involving paperwork seems to take hours on end ( even after I've figured out how to fill it in!) in general anything admin-y takes about three times the time back home.
3. The sneaky meat. It looks vegetarian, it says it's vegetarian, but oh.. What's this? Surprise pork!
4. Not being Able to speak Japanese very well makes me feel like a small child when trying to do simple things. In Kobe I can get free lessons, but found out yesterday I have to be resident for a month first. so, will have to just get on for another few weeks with my dictionary. What's really hard is, I'm not allowed to speak any Japanese at work, as the students Re paying for an English class, they wNt total immersion. But even to the staff, I'm not allowed. So I feel myself becoming super polite English girl, in the vein of Mary Poppins... Cor blimey guv!
5. Not having any money to buy everything I want/ do things I want to do. One of my friends was in Tokyo this week bhut I couldn't afford the train fare to go visit her (or go to Disneyland as we'd discussed) train fares within kinki are pretty reasonable, but to get to Tokyo on the Shinkansen it's about £50, one way, if you don't book in advance. Crazy. so I'm going to hVe to save up and reserve those Tokyo tickets... I'm sure it will be worth the wait once I do. Meanwhile Ive got a Lot of kinki to explore!

No comments:

Post a Comment